View Single Post
Old 2013.08.15, 01:06 PM   #789
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Okay guys, I need some help. I managed to find a copy of Shouso Strip on Yahoo Auctions. I set up a Japan Shopping Mall account, but the whole process seems overly complicated. I just want to buy this album. Is there any easy way to do that? I feel like this website doesn't make it easy for me to do that. I made a $10 deposit to set up my account, do I need to deposit more so I can actually purchase this?
You could estimate that the necessary PayPal deposit is 22% of whatever you want to buy, if you're thinking of Yen as equivalent to pennies (100 per USD).

So hypothetically, if you were willing to Buy It Now a Shouso Strip LP for 22000yen, you would first need around $48 in deposits ($220 * 0.22).

You should also expect that your 'deposit' itself isn't far off from what you'll have to pay beyond the oversimplified§ auction price. So the final pre-shipping cost would actually be close to $268 ($220 + $48).

The shipping itself usually isn't so bad, especially if what you want isn't very heavy (next-to-nothing to move an LP within Japan, another $5 to move it internationally, and next-to-nothing for the last leg of the shipping from SMJ's US warehouse to you). It's when you're buying arcade machines or stacks of magazines, that the shipping costs become significant.

§: The main caveat when trying to estimate how much something would cost you from Yahoo! Japan Auctions, is that you're not actually paying 1 USD per 100 Yen - it's more like 92 Yen (because SMJ slants the standard exchange rate another 5 Yen in their favor - and the standard rate happens to be 97 Yen per USD right now). So 22000 Yen shouldn't be thought of as $220 to begin with - it's already $239.13 from the exchange rate, plus there's a $24 commission, a $3 wire fee, and there's shipping. That's where the "deposit-like" total of additional/hidden costs comes from.