Thread: Site Downtime
View Single Post
Old 2011.06.15, 09:21 AM   #4
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

For those of you who noticed that EMF was inaccessible for a couple of days...

EMF has been running on a web server for a couple of years, in which file corruption problems were detected earlier this month. To my knowledge, none of our files were corrupt, but our community wasn't the only website running on this server.

So EMF's files (along with the files of a hundred other websites) had to get moved to a new server. The process didn't involve each of these websites gradually coming back online. None of the hundred websites were online again, until all of them had been moved. There was somewhere around 1.4 TB of data to move (for all the websites combined), and it looks like the webhosting company used internet connection(s) rather than internal network connection(s), for moving the data from one server to another. I don't know about the rest of you, but it would take me 2 solid months for my residential DSL to download this much data, or almost a whole year to upload. So although 2 days seems like an eternity in internet time, it could've been a lot worse.

I'm going to set up an alternate server or two (at no additional cost), so that if something serious (lasting more than a few hours) happens with our main server again, "forums.electricmole.net" can point us toward one of the alternate servers while the main server is still down.

At 2+ days of downtime, some of you probably thought this community was gone for good. Not on my watch. If worst came to worst and our webhosting company were to get bombed or something, we could bring a database backup to another webhosting company, and pick up from where we left off.