Thread: Ringo News 2015
View Single Post
Old 2016.03.22, 06:39 PM   #1771
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
From what *I* can hear, at least, most of Sunny is a case of been there, done that. I think the album IS cohesive, but the parts are too familiar. Like you could easily make your own Sunny by making a playlist of past Tokyo Jihen/Shiina Ringo tracks. I probably thought the same thing about Dai Hakken, but this is even MORE so. Could be the actual old tracks, I dunno.
Cohesion-wise, where Sunny loses me is primarily at the Carnation -> Kodoku no Akatsuki -> NIPPON sequence. I mean, I *kind of* get Carnation after Arikitari na Onna, from a thematic standpoint, but then to follow it with a high-energy electronic song? Compare SG, where you had Bonsai Hada followed by the free & easy Yokyou and the super-mellow-weed-smoking version of Marunouchi Sadistic. Also, much as I like Irohanihiheto, somehow it doesn't feel quite right, coming after Chichinpuipui - probably due to the harpsichord bit.

I do get what you're saying about the been-there-done-that aspect of the album, but I thought she countered that quite well with JL005-bin de (which was IMO quite brilliant) and Hashire wa Number to a lesser extent. I would have liked to see more moments like that though.