View Single Post
Old 2013.12.26, 10:48 AM   #19
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Oomori Seiko is so weird to me. Like, she wants to wear so many different hats at once. On one hand, she wants to be a satirical, almost ironic, idol parody. On the other hand, she wants to be taken seriously as a folk/indie singer-songwriter. But then THOSE songs she can sometimes end up with a Midori scream, so is she making fun of pretentious folk singers as well?
She's somewhere in the nebulous of Togawa Jun-Midori (Shiina is only tangental to this) of some kind of vague idol parody or critique. The only problem is that I have no idea what she is critiquing. I'm not entirely sure it's a parody anymore either. At least with Togawa and Midori I knew where to stand (though Mariko's solo career makes Midori a bit more enigmatic).
I'm also not a Togawa super-fan by any means, but I think DG mentioned Togawa is a producer for Oomori? Which makes total sense, because some songs (like "Kitty Blues") seem to be almost derivative of Togawa's work. It's very Suki Suki Daisuki-esque to me, but lacks the ironic lyrics.

Here's where I am split though:
JIhad is of the opinion that Oomori is genuine in everything she does.
I have a feeling that some aspect of her work is some sort of parody, but now I'm not so sure. In the beginning, when I saw her dressed in idol clothes and then go on stage with a bunch of idols and sing this passionate folk song, I thought she was poking fun at idols.
I'm not sure where DG stands on the "parody" aspect.

Do you remember this:
Tamahime-sama

I just get a feeling that THAT is what Oomori is going for, but I'm not so sure.
I'm not being articulate today.

Maybe the parody isn't the music but the presentation of the music (how she dresses, where and with whom she performs alongside). But you know, one day she could be performing at Tokyo Idol Festival and the next in an old church.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2013.12.26 at 10:55 AM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote