View Single Post
Old 2013.12.27, 01:03 PM   #26
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
"Super charged" by her standards, namely acoustic guitar plus singing. They're pretty tame compare to most of Ringo's work, such as Kabukichō no Joō, Honnou, Jihen's Ringo no Uta, OSCA...
Seiko Oomori's perfect fan is someone who likes edgy female singer-songwriters with some degree of image appeal, often shows dismissive attitude towards Japanese idol music, and loves the singer's voice enough to tolerate the minimalistic music. The singer's voice is essentially what's doing the trick. You have to love Seiko's voice to enjoy her howling.

So far, I'm neither a fan of her voice nor the music, which is mostly indie folk. And in my own twisted view of music, I add the adjective "boring" to anything labeled as folk. I like glamorous, sexy female singers with loads of melodic, fast-paced songs (Ringo, Amuro Namie, Suzuki Ami, Goto Maki etc).
Yes. super charged by her standards. Though, why bring up Kabuki-cho no jou, Honnou, etc when those songs are very different, trying to be different things, from the two Zettai Shoujo songs. Like saying "this cake isn't as good as this sandwhich" even if you bought them in the same mall. Oomori Seiko goes for the hyper sugar production of typical Jpop faire. I'd say the more similar Shiina-related song would be maybe Bunmei-Kaika.

I wouldn't say that liking her singing is the same as enjoying her music or that one necessarily has to go with the other. Singing can be more than hitting notes or to be a detached garnished to a pre-fabricated track. Oomori's voice is used less for singing so much as it is expression. Oomori conveys a lot of character through her vocal attack – I think more than post-SS Shiina dared, and I think that's a big part of the draw.

Now you can argue, why listen to a singer if the singing isn't up to snuff. It's like Celine Dion compared to Fiona Apple. Is one "better" than the other? It depends on the criteria. Regardless of "winner," there's room in the world for both.