View Single Post
Old 2009.06.09, 05:54 AM   #20
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
I don't understand this whole reputation business at all. I seem to have lost a point recently and that really bothers me. Especially when I don't know exactly why that point's gone. The user CP only lists the positive points received.
Your Reputation score is still the same (the total Reputation points anyone has ever given you from Rep Power they had at the time). What you've 'lost' is one point of Reputation-altering influence. In case you hadn't noticed, I've lost 5 Rep Power myself. Our jointime/reputation/postcount haven't significantly changed, but what has changed is the multipliers that dictate how much Rep Power we have from each of those three attributes. Again, please understand that there is a difference between Reputation and Rep Power, and that your Reputation itself isn't what has been changed here.

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
This reputation situation has only been on one other board I've used (the first one I was ever really on too.) and it caused an awful lot of trouble there. So I just have a bad taste in my mouth about the whole business. It causes superiority complexes and a lot of worrying on the end of the poster if they get too caught up into the whole order of the board.
If Reputation were purely an ego-stroking thing around here, a small handful of people here would have three or four green dots while nobody else even has two. The fact that you have to rep roughly a dozen people before you can touch the same person again, is one countermeasure for that.

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Ok, you said "you can't", but then you presented arguments in favor of "you can". I can post a lot (raising my postcount) of usefull stuff (raising my rep power) during an amount of time that I can't speed up or control. The fact that I can't control the join date doesn't change a thing, because I'm not the only one so it's a fixed value, whereas for postcount and rep power you can work and manipulate it. You just have to sit back and time will flow regardless. This has been proved by at least two users and you know who they are.
I think you are vastly overestimating the percentage of peoples' Rep Power that actually originates from postcount itself.

You can not say it didn't look like a coincidence, tho, because after I made this thread, the rep power changed.
Rep Power was changing before and after the thread started - it just wasn't more obvious until after this thread. If different Rep Power multipliers were being tested to see what could keep everyone on a more level playing field with more down-to-earth numbers that don't spread so far apart - if you see your own Rep Power going down (possibly more than once in the same hour or the same day), you might get ideas like Disapproving someone before your Rep Power drops any further. Sort of like, launching the nuke while you still can.

I still think the system has some faults, mainly the fact that people themselves keep a personal record of what they feel about a member. You can say it's best if people only consider the post and not the poster, but that won't happen often. That said, if a person writes in a way that doesn't really hurt anyone but doesn't sound very nice, that person will never get good rep even if she provides usefull information to the community. Which means the person has to conform his speach to the elite way, otherwise there's no possible way to climb the mountain, aka raise rep power.
This hypothetical person is more likely to gain Reputation than if you didn't have to spread it around at all. Also, since Reputation alone does not make or break your status in this community, you might be surprised by how many people are doing fairly well with little or no Reputation at all. I've always been sensitive to your example scenario, since before this community even existed.

Also, don't forget that people give more rep when they can leech something rather then when they read a good informative post. There is just no way to deny that and the only way to counter it is if the leeching posts could not be repped. That would actually improve things because people would give because they want to, rather than because they want to raise the rep.
There would be nasty side-effects for trying to mandate this retroactively, which I don't think I need to go into any detail about, since we're not a leecher community, right?

In the end, there's still a good thing about your system, and that is the fact that we can just ignore it. This whole thread just came from the fact that I wanted to neg rep a person but couldn't, so from now on I'll just forget there's even a possibility and reply with a "Thanks" in case I approve or explain why I don't approve with 3 or 4 posts. That will actually help me raise my postcount.
That won't get you anywhere. Not every sub-forum gives you postcount, and that situation predates this thread. Believe me, I would have even more official postcount to gain than you, if that weren't the case.

In all of these protective measures, I'm the one who 'loses' the most. How much more do you think I should lose before the system can be deemed 'fair' by your standards?