View Single Post
Old 2012.02.22, 07:51 PM   #41
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Simple does not equal easy, or ordinary. Repetitive does not equal boring or unexciting. The song has some dynamic that is well executed, compared to the kinda sloppy "lets just make it real fast at the end!" approach that the band has used at least a couple of times (like on Osca.) The song takes a risk. I don't like it just because its different. Variety was different, and I didn't like that. I like it because its a good song, exciting to listen to, with great texture. It stands out from their catalog because its different.

How is it different from some catch all broad brushstoke catch all? It is produced from a very traditional approach and has some apparent classical (almost symphonic) undertones.

I have often said TJs music is paint-by-numbers. And from a very superficial standpoint you can say about death, not a happy sounding song, screaming vocals, reverb: paint by numbers! But there is clearly more to chew on here than say, Onna no ko wa dare demo, or Sora ga natteiru, or Kensao Naoshi. All those songs are derivative and don't really put a spin on their sound. Fukushuu fits this as well honestly. But Honto no Tokoro reads as very unique and to say this sounds derivative of anything sounds like you haven't heard much of the goth-punk wide brushstroke caricature genre you speak of. I don't mean to say its the most unique, ear exploding song that no ones ever heard anything like, or that it doesn't have anything in common with gothic music, but there's enough of a mixture to keep it interesting and a lot working for the song.

If rough, scratchy vocals and reverby music aren't your thing, that's okay. But to try to say the song is amateur or easy, or uninformed is...well...