View Single Post
Old 2014.12.22, 03:10 PM   #49
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Re. Teenage girl stab: Oh, Turtle, That's cause she IS the one direction :-p

@Cowboydan: Nice list. Believe me, I have tried so hard to get into that Passepied album/band in general. They show up on quite a few 2014 lists and musically, I can enjoy them to an extent. But I noticed something every time I listen to their stuff: I get about half way through an album and then out of nowhere I get a blinding urge to listen to (Phase 2) TOKYO JIHEN. I don't know what it is- they kind of sound familiar I guess- maybe it's the keys. They do have a certain Izawa tinge to them. I'm also not the greatest fan of the vocalist, though people who have pushed the band onto me keep saying that she'd be right up my alley- which she really, really should be. She has the qualities that would usually appeal to me, but I dunno- just can't stand her for more than a few tracks. But I will persist a bit longer.

Not criticizing your number one pick, but it is an interesting statement on your musical experience of 2014 when you put a prank call album as your number 1 choice :-p

Just looked at Pitchfork's top 10. No alarms and no surprises. That said, out of the top 10, The Grouper album was good... albeit in the end a weaker White Chalk. Syro and To Be Kind are undeniably both good albums too. The rest I've listened to at one point or another but don't remember much of. The Todd Terje album seemed alright but never got the desire to repeat listen. Sigh. Was hoping there'd be at least something I hadn't already listened to in that top 10.

This is why I need USERS to give top lists, at least that way there will no doubt be something new to hear. Turtle's got me listening to Sparks, Jihen has gotten me onto Gist Is (Pigeon Skulls is so good! - where he got the Jihen comparison is anyone's guess though, maybe a troll cause of the bands name? :-p) and so far Cowboydan's list has me listening to Big World (the Weezer comparison is legit) on repeat!

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.12.22 at 04:28 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote