View Single Post
Old 2007.09.25, 05:46 PM   #70
Silverrime

Silverrime is headed in the right direction

My CD came in before lunch, so I I've had time to have a few listens.

Songs I dislike:

Mirror Ball - I didn't like it in JCHI and I don't like it now, the chorus is what gets me.
Kronekodow - I get that the album has the whole different styles/scenarios schtick going on, but the cartoony sound goes too far for my taste.
Boutomin and SSAW - Both have some fundemental quality that rubs me the wrong way, they feel like fleshed out versions of elevator music.

Songs I can live with:

Ramp - The song's OK, it just doesn't build up to anything, it just is, and therefore I shall let it lie. I don't get what is manly about though.
Shiseikatsu - I can see some resemblance to Superstar, and I too think Superstar is better, but I don't get all the hate for this song. It's a good enough ballad, I just don't like ballads much. The chorus reminds me of Kom, susser Tod from the Evangelion movie.
OSCA - I initially disliked this song quite a bit, but it grew on me. I got the idea in my head that heavier guitar played similarly to it's current style would have made for a contrast that would have improved the song, oh well.
Fukushu - This, like Kronekodow, seems to me like an entry forced too much into the niche it's supposed to have in the album. However, it's played well and I happen to be biased towards this particular sound.
Sake to Geko - See Ramp.

Songs I like:

Kingyo no Hako - This barely made my 'like' list. I enjoyed the guitar, but the organ just sounded out of place.
Killer Tune - Another one I was on the fence about for a bit, this one because of Ringo's singing in the chorus. In the end I found that it doesn't really bother me that much unless I'm sitting just listening, giving the song undivided attention. I do like how the music flows, despite little guitar solo.
Tsukigime-hime - I'm comfortable with calling this the Sounan of this album. All of the instruments seem to be in their sweet spot and the song sort of adds more layers as it progresses. I like how Ringo's voice briefly goes from slightly whiny and forlorn to dark and aloof right before the chorus.
Metro - I knew I would like this just from the preview. I guess it's my guilty pleasure, seeing the other responses to this song. I dig the chill feel, like I should be cruising the freeway at 3 in the morning, or sitting at a lounge sipping a martini with some friends. I like the filter used on Ringo, it works really well for her voice, and I like how the general sound becomes a bit more organic towards the end.

Overall, the album isn't bad at all. Though it's got the only examples of Ringo/TJ work, other than Sigma, that I would actively skip on the playlist.
Silverrime is offline   Reply With Quote