View Single Post
Old 2018.06.16, 10:58 AM   #956
waranghira

waranghira has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Well, that was a kinda depressing re:review by a co-Variety fan. Because for me, the songs that I first liked still remain in my likedom.

First, for all the songs in the record, tho, it's clearly understandable that the engineering/mixing/mastering leaves a lot to be desired.

(SHIT)seikatsu
As the disclaimer above, I get why the guitar tone might not be perfect (or at least for me, not quick to get warm to), but the guitar lines... THE LINES, they are SO!!! Especially that wah-chokes in the died-down chorus!!! The 2nd verse intro. The interplay of the first verse backed melodically by the guitar, the second by the keyboard but reply-bellished by the guitar. The minimalist but effective solo! UGH (I love this song so much).

Or I guess you're just basically not a fan of the song in the first place.

Boutomin
Hey, it's a fun chill song; younger you had reason to like it! Uki's voice sure isn't comparable to Ringo, but it serves its purpose here like Izawa's sleepy voice, they provide contrasts to each other. It's meant to be comical. And damn that groove that they progressed to at the end before the Kabuki coda.

Mirrorball
I'm also like you who preferred the JCHI Mirrorball. But differently, because of the other latter lives, I warmed up to this Variety-based Mirrorball with all its quirks and appreciated how their lines challenges more from the listener (Actually the Discovery live is even more playful than the Variety record, that makes the record look like a cohesive unit). And com'on, what's not to love about that tremolo-then-pull-off-riff with stairs-fx?

I really think it's the mixing/engineering and mastering that's aggravated some of the songs to be less palatable.
Just felt I needed to defend those three that you put down that I still like.

And about the age-old topic that this kind of Jihen not being received well by the seniors; that's all expectations. Used to get this kind of content from artist that they grow to adore and put on pedestal, but artist stopped producing them and instead make another kind of content with others that's different... I can honestly say that the gems from the different are not necessarily (nor at least significantly) inferior to the gems of the past.
(But yeah, Shuukyou is a masterpiece, just seeing the modulations and collection of chords)

My defunct band.
waranghira is offline   Reply With Quote