View Single Post
Old 2013.09.12, 05:22 AM   #17
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Can we talk about the picture?

I don't normally comment on promotional pics like this, but does the image seem oddly "Shiina Ringo" to anyone else? I don't mean polite old lady Shiina, or goofy cat ears Shiina, or even try-hard deer antler Shiina, but the Shiina Ringo.

It's at least atypical for modern day Shiina. The more modern day shiina version of this image would accentuate the dress, cover her eye with her hair maybe, sit in a proper chair, she would look at the camera, and be lit softer or at least flatter.

I think the above description of what it isn't alone is interesting. The image is sexy, but its also unnerving. It doesn't feel safe, like maybe she poses provocatively to attract potential torture victims. Or maybe she's the victim with wounds (the eye patch) and ruffled hair and she doesn't know anything but to feign seduction.

That's the same feeling that old Shiina was so good at playing. Yes there was "sex" in the presentation, but there was that edge, that slight subversion that painted everything to be more than it seemed.

I think that picture is the most interesting thing Shiina has been associated with in years.