View Single Post
Old 2008.08.26, 09:28 PM   #21
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I already rep'd you a couple days ago. You want me to go speed-rep roughly a dozen people so I can rep you just for that post, when you've already made other posts that are more... rep-worthy? My remark wasn't intended as a cheap shot. It has some very deep social undertones.

I understand you aren't going so far as to have a signature that says "come on, you know you wanna rep this", but I have to wonder how much less Reputation you'd have at this time, if you hadn't asked for suggested it a couple times already. It's not to say that every post you make is in the pursuit of Reputation increase, but previously nobody has been as upfront as you, about feeling there's at least a couple of times where they really deserve it. I'm not saying you shouldn't have as much Reputation as you've gathered thus far, but what I'm saying is I think there are other people who possibly deserve around the same amount, who aren't getting it because they aren't tacking the suggestion to rep them, on their own rep-worthy post.

I view it kind of like a waiter explicitly 'reminding' you to tip them. You can replace that quoted word with whatever you want, but no matter how you package the motive, you're still bringing up the subject, and doing so is one of those taboos most people don't warn each other about, because most people instinctively know not to try it. You have to view tips/approvals as a statistic and accept the natural behavior that some people do not have the initiative or concern to acknowledge your contribution, yet a minority or a majority of generous people will chip in enough collectively, that the average you get per person (this average includes the people who chip in nothing) should be 'enough'. I would regard donations the same way, because 'reminders' to people who have never donated, are, well... a borderline nuisance that wreaks of desperation, but non-compounded reminders to existing/previous donors, are a lot nicer than auto-deposits. *shuts up*