View Single Post
Old 2011.05.16, 01:37 PM   #2
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Obviously a very cool lady. That first track is really good stuff, key change for the chorus which is a nice touch, and I'm taking notes on stuff like that for when I get around for making the soulful house track I bought Reason for one day and never got around to making...

She has two four albums on Spotify so I'll try them out when I'm in the mood for this kind of thing, usually late at night.

Strings of Life is a cover of a very famous house (Detroit techno) track by Derrick May as Rhythim is Rhythim. Yes it sounds very late 80s, but it's a fun bit of music history nevertheless.

Derrick May - Strings of Life

In SR land, it's good to see someone whose contribution doesn't overtly draw attention to itself getting some praise, and she is billed as a guest musician rather than just a session musician. I remember someone posting that Kyougenshou was underrated because like the other Track 1s there was some kind of propelling urgency or desparation about all of them, and in that song's case there's an interestingly dissonant string arrangement that lends a lot of that desperation and is very much part of the hypermodern metropolitan feel of the song.

And now I'm listening to it, who invents solos like Susumu Nishikawa... He's a hero.

Originally Posted by justriiingo
club jazz
I have no idea where the very subtle point where "club jazz" end and soulful house begins... All this stuff is house to me. Taking Japanese examples, Jazztronik is the former, KJM is in the middle and DJ Kawasaki is the latter? I don't know how I'm coming out with that though.

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.05.21 at 03:46 PM. Reason: just realised I've actually used the word "hypermodern". and that makes me sound like a media studies lecturer. whatever
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote