View Single Post
Old 2010.01.18, 08:55 PM   #86
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
Which is why adjusting for inflation is the best. Gone With the Wind is the awesomest and then Star Wars has its rightful place at number 2.

But still, Titanic is looming over those other charts. Ughhh, that movie. However much I love Kate Winslet and Victor Garber... ughs.
adjusting for inflation doesn't work, because getting getting an audience into theaters now is many times harder than it was years and years ago. I mean, the fact that Avatar is doing as well as it is in this economic climate, and a lot of that being IMAX tickets, is pretty remarkable. just comparing inflated ticket prices and admissions doesn't work, because there are a lot of other factors to consider. I mean, when Star Wars and Titanic both were released getting an audience into a movie theatre wasn't nearly as difficult as it has been in the last few years. Between the advancement in home theatre technology, piracy on the internet, the economic recession, and the skyrocketing price of admissions, Avatar's success *now* is much more remarkable than Titanic or Star Wars was back in their heydays. Hollywood is in a terrible recession and Avatar's success is even more remarkable because of that.

still, best picture? that was a real surprise. take a huge commercial pop corn flick and give it best drama golden globe, its almost ironic in a way.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote