View Single Post
Old 2013.08.08, 08:21 AM   #5
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

^
I'll have my copy within 8 hours.
Yours might've shipped out 12-24 hours before mine did, because I had something else briefly holding my order up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bonus DVD looked pretty good (even if it's standard definition), because SAPS's U Want More has better picture quality than most other concert DVDs I've watched, and without that hyper-realness Bon Voyage has got going on. Since we know the Assassin's Assassin PV was shot in HD (if the official YouTube video is any indication), then it's reasonable to assume they did a proper downscale for the DVD and are milking every last pixel available in SD. There's hardly anything inherently wrong with standard definition - it's mostly that people screw it up so often.

*edit*
My prediction about the video quality, turned out to be accurate. I would even go so far as to proclaim that Assassin's Assassin looks at least as good on this bonus DVD as it does on YouTube's "high definition" options. I'm hardly disappointed about this being a DVD instead of a Blu-Ray. When playing it in Video LAN Client, I don't even have to deinterlace this DVD - it already looks fantastic as-is.

Here's some examples:

vlcsnap-2013-08-08-15h00m09s177.png
vlcsnap-2013-08-08-15h00m46s36.png
vlcsnap-2013-08-08-15h01m45s126.png
vlcsnap-2013-08-08-15h02m07s67.png
vlcsnap-2013-08-08-15h11m32s233.png
vlcsnap-2013-08-08-15h02m35s108.png
vlcsnap-2013-08-08-14h55m44s213.png

As for the DEATH JAZZ version of Assassin's Assassin...
It's everything I wanted the song to be, when I heard the normal version. I didn't directly have a problem with Saito Neko, but the side-effect of him being there, is that there was barely anything for Josei (the keyboardist) to do. I have to confess, I'm almost a sucker for Josei - I'll buy pretty much anything with him in it. As it turns out, the DEATH JAZZ version has a lot more Josei (doing some surprisingly good bossa nova), and no Saito Neko at all. Quite a few people were complaining about how 2:39 wasn't long enough for the regular version. Well, guess what? DEATH JAZZ version is 3:15. It was difficult to say whether or not the regular version of Assassin's Assassin was better than anything on the Carnation single, but the DEATH JAZZ version is unquestionably better.

As for the other songs, so far the Bonnie Pink track clearly stands out, and I'd say the RHYMESTER track is a runner-up. None of the other tracks are bad, but they aren't doing it for me like standalone SAPS material. However, giving credit where it's due, the worst collaborations on this album are better than most PE'Z collaborations.

I should also note that all of the recordings here are nice and clear. I can blast any of these tracks pretty loud on my equipment, without feeling like my ears are being attacked. This is really no surprise, if you've listened to other albums from the record label (Victor).

Last edited by Glathannus : 2013.08.08 at 01:37 PM.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote