View Single Post
Old 2007.04.12, 08:37 PM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

In my music collection, I have a root folder for "Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen". In that folder are dated subfolders for pretty much everything over here. I don't mention artists in the subfolder names though. I just have a Year.Month.Day, then single/album/dvd name. And if there are collaboration/contributed tracks in an album among nonRingo tracks, then the Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen dated subfolder includes ONLY the tracks Ringo was involved in, while a copy of the entire album is in my collection elsewhere (in a dated subfolder under the other artist's name).

The idea is if I drop the Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen subfolder into my playlist, I'll get everything Ringo has ever touched, ONLY the music she's touched, and all in proper debut order. And in the playlist you can tell what's what because I don't modify the metadata/tags for artists Ringo collaborates with, so the tracks load under those artists' names in the middle of all the full-fledged Ringo tracks.

I don't like 'libraries'. I think it's better to take your own initiative on how you organize your collection, instead of have your playback software try to develop its own 'understanding' of your entire collection. If you have properly organized subfolders, then if you move the files around to another computer (or to and from the same computer because of a wipe), you don't need to (re)configure anything in the software because loading the root folder will continue to display everything in the proper order.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote