View Single Post
Old 2011.04.12, 01:39 PM   #855
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

That's not at all the case. If you like Variety, then that's fine. If you found that fans of Shiina prior to, and including, Adult tended to dislike Variety I think its a jump to pin it on "style." Like Shiina to that point never veered styles. Fans who had followed her for a while obviously have a different background and different expectations for a Shiina album than fans just jumping in now and at that time. Existing fans had a bar, they had a frame and if the album didn't cross that bar then yeah, they will think it's a disappointment.

I'm not going to take the obvious troll bait. Nowhere did I say "horrible taste" (at least in any recent post.) But, in my time of participating-slash-"trolling" music forums, it is easy to see newer fans tend to be more accepting of stuff in general. Sort of a "Its part of the catalog, even if it's not great I have to accept that" whereas existing fans remember a time where it wasn't a part of the catalog and thus are that less hesitant to accept it.

tl;dr: existing fans have pre-existing expectations that new fans do not.