View Single Post
Old 2010.02.11, 01:07 PM   #45
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Old SR/TJ tunes had that special quality where if you made someone else do the vocals, it would sound totally wrong
Tomosaka Rie . She can't sing like SR can, but I accepted Shoujo Robot and Cappuccino as being Ringo long before I gave TJ or HF the time of day...

(Mini Review) Sorry for the retro-edit. Just wanted this post to read more gracefully. I guess I didn't like Ukizawa's singing on Gaman to start with so the creative autotuning on Ikiru (into cadences or something...!) was way too much. I really don't like 1, 4-6, 10 or how 2 or 13 end, and don't want to listen again for whatever reason.

Otherwise I liked these songs, in descending order of playcount. They make an enjoyable EP:

#8 Zettai Zetsumei: This is cute, I agree. Cool disco beats, the melody's a bit repetitive, but lots of harmonies that draw me.

#11 Sweet Spot: Slight surprise this came second, but I do think it's the strongest melody on the album, and I guess I just like the R&B. I love it when SR does background wails and rhodes pianos do pretty things (towards the end). It's got those chords I like. I have issues with the instrumental break and I'm not fully sold on Ringo's diva singing (particularly in comparison to the excellent performance for Shun). But it calls to mind autumn colours and Mary J Blige's You Gotta Believe (a good thing in my world haha).

#9 FAIR: I can just tune out and enjoy this. It's such a Uki vanity project, but where it finds a melody in the chorus it's an album highlight.

#3 Season Sayonara: Likeable Shibuya-kei ish cousin to Kingyo no Hako. I think anybody could perform this as well but they'd need to rope Izawa in because his soloing's fun.

Last edited by so_cold : 2010.03.07 at 04:48 AM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote