View Single Post
Old 2009.12.16, 11:42 PM   #53
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Wow.
So you guys are happy comparing her to run-of-the-mill pop artists. This is very sad. If you set your standards so low, of course whatever she puts out is going to be well, comparatively miles ahead.

Old SR doesn't deserve that. She has always been a innovator of music first, pop musician second, so it's only fair that I judge her music with the same benchmark I judge the music of other innovators - I judge it against her previous work.
You've got her too far up on a pedestal. Whatever she does or whatever she did, she's still a pop artist. Sure she can use all sorts of outer influences, but the simple Kayokyoku/Blankey Jet City/90s R&B influence is always there. There's a reason why she's not mainly working with full orchestras and sticking to the guitar/bass/drum/keyboard combo that's been all the rave for the past 60 years -- because she's making pop music. The songs are short and the hook is essential. This can be said with anything from KZK to Variety.

And you just seem haughty looking down on pop like you seem to be. If that's your view on music, of course you'll be extra disappointed when she puts out something that doesn't meet your standards of innovation or whatnot.

last.fm