View Single Post
Old 2012.10.16, 03:26 PM   #928
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Come on, deadgrandma, it’s not if the Mr.Bungle comparison is unwarranted, especially when you consider TJ’s camp and quirky aesthetic and Izawa’s circusy songwriting.
Both bands take a straightforward approach to genre wizardry as opposed to the unconscious (supposedly) fusion of ideas of SR’s solo work. Gaman also sounds like ’My First Mr.Bungle.’ The comparison holds up mainly for Variety, admittedly, where SR intended for the individual tracks to veer off in all sorts of directions. Mr.Bungle is kind of like Tokyo Jihen with solo Ringo’s brashness/crudeness.

I ’respect’ Variety more than Sports and Daihakken, because it was a bold experiment. I also like to see it as the Nobara album. It’s also quite similar to Kyouiku its rawness, and both represent alternate takes on a kind of DIY garage broadway rock band.
I listen to Bungle a fair bit, never EVER did I think that it sounded remotely like Jihen. If they did then I'd be shocked.