View Single Post
Old 2009.12.26, 12:09 PM   #63
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
i don't remember gangs of new york, but he was flippin' SOLID in there will be blood. i guess you had a bias towards the actor, but if you thought his serious acting was douche-bag-ey, then i think it was just the way the character was. in which case, you wouldn't like the movie even if it was another actor. i don't see how that character could have been played any better.

as for wall-e, i think it was over-hyped. i saw it, and i fell for the hype, but as i think back on it, i don't think it was that great. i guess i'd have to watch it again to see how it holds up. but i didn't like the whole colony thing too much and i like it much less now. i think i originally liked it because i thought it was a nice way of making fun of america, but that wore off.
yeah I have the personal bias, so seeing him play more or less an intensified version of himself didn't surprise or awe me. usually the "great" performances that earn people attention are eerily close to their personal attributes, hence why they seem to really define the role. Like Julia Roberts in Erin Brokovitch...I mean, in my mind, it is MUCH more impressive to see actors tackle roles that are drastically different than themselves in both personality and demeanor. Daniel Day Lewis seems more or less to keep picking similar type roles over and over. I mean, he pretty much ruined Nine for me. You could argue it is the character and not him as an actor, but man, that movie frustrated the heck out of me.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote