View Single Post
Old 2010.01.19, 09:24 PM   #46
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I'm okay with her singing in English, but I generally enjoy music much more when I don't understand the language. A lot of brazilians don't find bossa nova all that special, maybe because they grew up around it, but it's such a charming genre of music... Portuguese is such a nice singing language I don't understand why they want to sing in English!

Astrud Gilberto's The Girl from Ipanema is what the music press would call *the* definitive bossa nova tune. I don't like it all that much, but it sure was a starting point for me. Later I chanced upon a series of podcasts a few years back on called "Avolta: Rare Brazilian Grooves" which pretty much sums up my knowledge of brazilian music. I should send it to you if you're ever so inclined... don't think you can find it on the internets anymore. There's some Elis Regina tunes in there, from what I remember. (Funny, the daughter thing never crept up while I was youtubbing).