View Single Post
Old 2007.10.03, 01:27 PM   #16
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by madpawn View Post
Do we need to lower our expectations when indulging in "entertainment," like when Roger Ebert decided to take blockbuster movies on their own terms? If the only cause and reason of a piece is to entertain, is it not art? Must art challenge? If we're expecting something to be art, do we heighten our expectations?

(Hedo—some bands with a permanent piano in the mainstream right now are Coldplay and Keane. I hate them, but there you go.)
That's interesting. Although I don't lower my expectations or standards for the music I like, I do sometimes feel that critics take some aspects too seriously. Not that some things should not be criticized, but a lot of times people try to dissect pieces of music to the point where they can't even enjoy it because of a measly little thing in a song that bothers them or they think is wrong. It's entertainment first, art second. While I obviously want my music to be good and full of great ideas, the main purpose of music has always been to entertain. People started making music out of boredom or leisure time and it has evolved into a great artistic form. I'm not telling everyone to lower their standards on music, but sometimes you have to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

And I hate those bands too
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote