View Single Post
Old 2011.12.28, 02:35 PM   #22
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

@JR: Oh, early Destiny's Child were one of chart pop's high points historically speaking...! 90s pop-R&B was always the best.

I just remembered Teedra Moses collaborated with Raphael Saadiq as well (I think Shiina Ringo rather likes him...) but maybe I don't know enough to say if she reminds me of anybody.

@Jihad: I think like a lot of "difficult" music if it can be called that (and KZK - SS on the other hand was super-instant for me), The Magic Place clicks if you just leave it on while doing something else and then something about it really grabs you, there's a shuffly bassline you find you like (Prizewinning) or something that sounds pretty in the context of everything that's gone before (Flown). If you actively listen to it on first try it can be a bit annoying and repetitious, waiting for her musical ideas to take minutes to fade in and out. Spotify plays the first track of her Flourine EP afterwards which kind of just seals the deal (Sunlight, Heaven). Julianna Barwick also reminds me a little of a Scottish ambient band called One Dove, or particularly the second half of their only album.

There are a lot of "honorable mentions" around at the moment. Maybe not many nailed on favourites but a lot that you gain from giving it a try which is great. I think Oneohtrix will be like that for me, although I immediately checked my phone for song titles: Andro, Nassau and Child Soldier because they sounded really good. It's a quality album, his last had a buzz around it too.

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.12.29 at 02:12 AM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote