View Single Post
Old 2009.05.14, 09:23 AM   #721
pariscombo

pariscombo deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by ron2112 View Post
Obviously I'm basing this on very little experience, so I'm probably full of crap, and feel free to tell me so. This is all first impression -- in other words, things I'm going to be embarrassed to have written six months from now.

But as I'm listening to samples from Karuki Zaamen Kuri no Hana, it seems like the solo work is more sonically adventurous, whereas the TJ stuff is more musically adventurous. The KZK material I'm listening to is amazingly dense with all sorts of wonderful sounds, but beneath it all is a tendency toward very simple melodies. Of course, simple melodies -- almost childlike at times -- are a big part of both Shiina's and TJ's appeal, but to my ears, the solo work raises the stakes by enveloping those melodies in these incredible soundscapes, whereas TJ raises the stakes by tweaking out the melodies a few extra degrees, and keeping the presentation relatively straightforward.

For example, I'm listening to Yattsuke Shigoto. Great tune! There's really not much to the composition itself, but all these cartoony flourishes throughout the track elevate it well above a simple pop song. I can't imagine it working acoustically, but in its recorded form it's a wonderful listen.

Compare this to a track like Keshou Naoshi. Sonically, it's far simpler than Yattsuke Shigoto. But musically, the melody and chord progression are considerably more intricate. This is where I hear the difference between the solo work and the TJ stuff. Neither is inherently superior to the other, but they're different approaches, and which you prefer depends on where you're coming from as a listener.

Of course these are isolated examples, and as I said, only a first impression of what I'm hearing. I like it, though, a lot. I'll be purchasing this later today. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Ron Moses

In some point you are lucky that you have tons of stuffs to listen and watch in the future.

Welcome to forum.