View Single Post
Old 2019.10.28, 10:38 AM   #60
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Just reread this thread and it's interesting to get perspective from 12 years ago since this was literally around the time I was discovering Shiina Ringo. I think 2007 is probably the worst creative year in her entire career (I'll fight you, DG) so no wonder EMF sounded the alarm so quickly.

But I would like to just say this. I think we can all agree that if Ringo were still trying to replicate the "shock value" of Honnou 20 years later it would be a pretty depressing timeline to live in. Probably worse than the "release a couple singles and create a patchwork album" one we live in now.

Let me use an example. Remember seeing Harrison Ford again in "The Force Awakens"? A lot of people were excited. I thought we'd see some character progression myself. "I wonder what he's up to now?" we all asked ourselves, eagerly anticipating the movie's release. Well, turns out he's still a smuggler. He's just a lot older now. And looking a lot more tired. And god, that was depressing as shit. Aren't you supposed to learn when you get older? Aren't you supposed to change and get better? Or at least get wiser?

Well, you definitely grew up, Jihad. We all did. And for better or worse, Ringo did too.