View Single Post
Old 2012.02.23, 06:27 AM   #46
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I don't mean to just pick apart everything but that still seems too lazily dismissive to me. All things you say can be applied to a song like "Fukushuu." Was Ukigumo just trying to be different, and contrary, and hard rocking for the sake of it? Yeah, probably. Was very exceptional outside of that? Did it take any risk? Not really. (I like Fukushuu though and I know and understand that's purely on a personal subjective level. If someone says "its the most awful song ever" I think that's a little overboard, but I get that there's not a whole lot going on.)

But there should be a clear difference between that song and Honto no Tokoro. The band and Hata I think clearly are taking a risk, I don't think its necessarily gratuitous either, just for the sake of it, because I got the feeling the song was supported and built towards on the Color Bars EP. (Contrast with Fukushuu on Variety.) It wasn't just out of nowhere, but was still a leap; and that's exciting. Its the difference between a good decapitated head sculpture and a bad one. Not all of them are bad, and not all of them are good, but there are plenty of questions we can ask to think between the two. How is the expression on the face, what is it made of, how is the sever, how detailed, what idiosyncrasies are there?

It's real easy to dismiss a song like Honto no Tokoro or other songs that may be out of one's comfort zone, just like it may be easy for someone like me to dismiss someone like Kesha. (What? I think you can do far worse in music than Kesha. Sue me, its catchy.) I'm sure there were people that wrote of Shiina Ringo when "Honnou" rolled around too. Oh she's just trying to be shocking (but how is that really bad?)

EDIT:
Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
Okay, someone who disagrees tell me what's so effing complex or clever or moving or interesting about the lyrics then. No, really, I want to be convinced.
Then why ask or post? -- edit,: i misread your quote as "I don't really want to be convinced" please ignore. My reactionist mistake!

To say the "songwriting is amateur" just seems selective. is the "songwriting" really different from "Honnou"? There's a verse and a chorus and little else. Perhaps you mean melody, but would a catchy melody really enhance this song? I think the opposite would be true. Would Shiinav Ringo really do a better job at singing the song? Her voice is maybe more "trained" but that's like saying Celine Dion should have sang "Smells like Teen Spirit" (I mean, you know what I mean.) There would have been a mismatch that may not have worked. Hata's voice just strains and cracks so nicely with the rest of the instrumentation.

Maybe what you mean is that it isn't an apparent easy pop song (that even Fukushuu resembles) with clean instrumentation, clean presentable vocals, and focus grouped melodies and you just don't like songs that aren't pop songs. Which is fair.

RE-EDIT: TO BE FAIR the song really doesn't fit the jpop,idol fanbase the band has cultivated since Variety.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2012.02.23 at 09:13 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote