View Single Post
Old 2014.05.21, 11:02 PM   #57
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by kalmia View Post
A thought that often comes to mind: there should have been a music video for the KZK version of Yattsuke Shigoto. The original music video is fine and dandy but we're comparing the ZCH version to KZK. I picture Ringo bored out of her mind, wearing a uniform that she hates, watching her co-workers tediously labor away like machines day in and day out to the song's rhythm. I imagine something in light of the Meisai PV, only in an office setting. A lot would have to be going on --- that song has A LOT going on -- but every movement would be methodical and calculated to the beat of the song. The original version of the song is angry at the mundane nature of life but the KZK version of the song is so much more scary because the character has given up all hope and refuses to even become angry. It's really one of those tracks that finds more appreciation after understanding the lyrics. I think this was a missed opportunity.
Thank you so much for saying this! There really aren't enough people saying that on EMF although I did notice a few in this very thread. The only ones I notice frequently singing its praises are myself and frecklegirl. It's one thing to do an angry rock song about the subject but it's an entirely different endeavor to completely reinvent the song from the ground up with lush orchestration and a real soundscape. It almost becomes a parody of itself and a sequel in its own strange way.

And I personally love your idea for a PV. It was a COMPLETELY missed opportunity on her part. While I love the Kuki/Stem video, I think a Yattsuke Shigoto video of what you described, even if it was animated ala Tsugou no ii Karada, would be spectacular and should have been made in its place. I suppose I'll settle for Ringo no Uta which may in fact be objectively her best PV to date just in concept alone.

I never made the train connection until now! And it's worth mentioning that there are train-like elements in Okonomi de as well. Though, nothing in Odaiji ni as far as I can tell. I enjoyed reading your post and have grown to love Doppelganger a whole lot more. What you have said about the "new voice" at the end will forever affect how I listen to that song. I knew that both second and penultimate tracks were German loan words that were related to the paranormal. I never realized some of the deeper parallels. The former certainly does seem dangerous while the latter seems caring and affectionate. The entire way Ringo uses her voice -- and the language too -- is completely different. I feel bad for those who are unable to hear those subtle differences. Sometimes I wonder if I would like KZK so much if I had no prior experience with Japanese.
I'm glad to be able to help you appreciate Doppelganger more! It's really become one of my favorite tracks on the album. There's just so many layers to it. I love listening to it and trying to hear little clues. I love the section around the beginning that plays various little snippets from her previous songs. It's a brilliantly arranged little gem.

I usually listen to the entire album through many times. But I literally listen to the album several times every day. I love all the tracks but I don't know if I could talk about Okonomi de like I have some of the other tracks above.
Okonomi de is a very interesting track. I used to find it the weakest entry of KSK but I've grown to really love it. In my earlier post I said that a lot of the album seems to deal with life and death but sex is also a major factor (I mean, even the word "semen" is referenced in the album title itself) and I feel this song embodies the sexual element of the album the most. It's got a very laidback feeling and I adore the sound of the keys and the various other instruments. The song seems to be about an addictive, sensual masochistic relationship between a woman and her lover. It draws you in a little slowly and sounds like something you might listen to in a lounge surrounded by cigarette smoke. I love how the song meanders. It never quite gives you satisfaction, it is flirtatious even to its listener. It definitely grows on you.