Thread: Utadah Hikaru!
View Single Post
Old 2009.03.16, 02:49 AM   #39
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious Destiny's Child melody rip-off in Taking My Money Back. Or the very odd lyrics in This One (Crying Like a Child)... it seems to be about an obsessed fan.

The only songs I really dislike now are Automatic Part II and Me Muero. I still think that Poppin' is a terrible song, but it's funny-terrible, so somehow I still 'like' it.

In terms of being taken seriously... it really depends how the lyrics are delivered and how the artist is presented. Utada is not anything like Katy Perry and she does not deliver her lines like Katy Perry, so I doubt Utada singing I Kissed a Girl would've been a hit in the West.
Some of the lyrics are extremely awkward and laughable (though I like Utada for her awkwardness, so it doesn't bother me all that much), especially the talking parts in Poppin' (*shudder*). The verses in On & On have some of the best delivered playful lyrics, and I think it's because they're underplayed (burn it up like a gay parade, or however it goes).

Since BoA is releasing at the same time, it's hard not to compare. BoA's lyrics do not come across as awkward or embarrassing, but they're extremely generic and forgettable (perhaps minus Look Who's Talking, and maaaybe Hypnotic Dancefloor... what the hell is a hypnotic dancefloor? Oh and maaaybe Girls on Top, but maybe that's just because I'm used to the Korean version).

Longest post I've ever made here possibly, I'm obviously procrastinating from doing my homework.