View Single Post
Old 2009.10.05, 01:27 PM   #76
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I still use a 22" CRT.
The only difference between those and the 21" CRTs, is better performance (usually higher refresh rate) with the 20 viewable inches you do get.

I've gradually worked my way up from being comfortable with 1600x1200, to being comfortable with 1792x1344, and finally to 2048x1536 (very recently). Technically I could be running 85Hz, but I don't like the way it looks on my screen at this resolution (fonts become a little blurry), so I'm running 75Hz instead.

Now if I wanted to go down to 1024x768, I could run it at 160Hz if I wanted, but nowadays that resolution (at any refresh rate) is only acceptable for people with netbooks (a totally overhyped bandwagon I'm surprised Apple hasn't gotten into yet). With all the windows I keep open at any given time, I would feel virtually claustrophobic with anything less than 1600x1200. Strangely it's the most commonly recommended resolution on 21" or 22" CRTs, too. Usually 1600x1200 at 85Hz in particular, even if the monitor can go to 100Hz at that resolution.

You're also an old school Apple user, from before their equipment became a status symbol for hipsters, and you're still running on PowerPC architecture if I recall correctly. I've got no quarrel with your kind, though I do have to ask - if you buy a newer computer in the future, is it going to be based on x86, and if so, then are you still going to have much attachment to OSX?