Thread: Mid Year Review
View Single Post
Old 2012.07.17, 06:14 PM   #4
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Honorable mentions tiem. Yeah, even with twenty-five in my last post there's still a few albums I find at least worth mentioning. Awe Naturale by Thee Satisfaction. The Only Place by Best Coast is unjustly underrated, as is Regina Spektor's new one What We Saw from the Cheap Seats. Real Punks Don't Sing About Girls by Bronx Cheerleader, Reign of Terror by Sleigh Bells I thought was pretty good. Kindred by Burial, A151 by Kishi Bashi. One that I have marked down that I really like, but always forget until I listen to it is Memoryhouse's The Slideshow Effect. There's no Leaving Now by Tallest Man on Earth. Something really out there, The Nihilism by Torturing Nurse. Not saying I "Love" it, but I don't think that's the point on that one. And lastly: Ornkey Symphony of the Magnetic North by The Magnetic North. Just more stuff to google if you're looking for something else.

Now on to Son I am Dissapoint!
Grimes - Visions: Very dissapoint on this one. I heard the first two songs to drop from this album, "Genesis" and "Oblivion" and was pretty psyched and was actually checking the blogs and trackers to see if and when this thing was going to come out and then when it did -- nope. I just feel it lacks any real emotion at all. Her singing is okay, the sounds are mostly good, but its just sort of all hazed together into a wrinkly, but ultimately flat listen. Doesn't connect with me at all, and I've tried multiple times.

Tokyo Jihen - Tokyo Collection - Son I am dissapoint! Ugh. You may tell me to temper my expectations on a live compilation, but I have been advocating for a live Tokyo Jihen release for years. Nearly a decade. Even when the band was bad, they were still pretty good live. Then it finally happens and it's this joyless, perfunctory coaster. Once one of my aunt's made Caldo for my family's sunday get-together and one of my cousin's commiserated how the soup tasted like it was made without any love. That's exactly how this felt.

Grace Potter & the Nocturnals - The Lion, The Beast, The Beat - woof. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals have been on my radar for a while and I've always wanted to sit down and listen to one of their full works. When I saw they recently released an album, I relished the opportunity. And what a sour time that turned out to be. The record just seemed paint-by-numbers, nothing unique going on. The band has always looked and sounded from a specific time in the past, but they never sounded so past their expiration either.

Metric - Synthetica - Metric is pretty consistent. Sure they never really wow you throughout an entire record, but the lows are quickly forgotten amongst the very tall highs. This album lacked those highs. Dissapoint.

Ty Segall and White Fence - Hair - Ty Segall has all the hallmarks of an artist I dig. Guitars, garage rock, fuzz, rasp. But for some reason for Ty Segall, it never comes together for me. I liked the title track off of his album last year -- and that was about it. I even enjoyed White Fence's own release this year (Family Perfume Vol.2) but for some reason I just don't find myself coming back to a Ty Segall record. And this guy is indie-royalty at the moment. He's like early 2000's Ryan Adams, releasing, guesting, starting new projects left and right. Maybe I'll revisit this again and enjoy it more later, maybe I'll like his Slaughterhouse release. But for now, I'm still not on the Ty Segall train.

Son I am EXCITE!! I am pretty excite for the impending Cat Power record. My girl, Beth Orton just dropped a song and announced an album due in October, got that puppy pre-ordered. As do I have my pre-order for Centipede Hz the new Animal Collective album (I'm secretly hoping that too is in the trend of Swing Lo Magellan.) Aimee Mann has got something on the way that just leaked, should probably listen to that. I'll check out the new Ariel Pink record, Ben Folds Five has something coming out. Really? I'll check out the Kenderick Lamar LP and of course the second Mount Eerie release.

2012, is that all??