View Single Post
Old 2011.10.27, 03:54 PM   #252
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
No, I wanted it to be styled after Dave McKean, like the original cover art. Watch Mirrormask. That's what I wanted it to look like.
I've seen Mirrormask, not a fan.

the original artwork would not work very well in a full length motion picture. as an independent short, sure, but certainly not for the way they filmed it.

I think the fact that the entire movie was shot in stills is incredible. the alternative would have been hand animation in a style that is similar, but it would have come off very cheap. the textures and life in the final version is just insane.

I also don't think you need to be dark to be "dark." truly disturbing material will shine through no matter how you paint it over, hence the reaction it got from some of the audience and critics. I know that that may not satisfy the small percentage of too-cool for school goth kids, waiting for the next Burton film, but Coraline, THE FILM, not the book, was Henry Selick's baby (as was Nightmare Before Christmas, much to most people's surprise. Burton was only responsible for the concept).
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote