View Single Post
Old 2011.11.09, 06:12 AM   #259
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

^Really been meaning to check that out. Though I have virtually zero foreknowledge as to what it's all about. Haven't even seen the trailer for it.

I'd like to take a moment to bitch about one of the defining franchises of our modern cinematic landscape. I am, of course, talking about the Saw series.

What did you think I meant?

I'll be the first person to admit that the original Saw is a pretty damn good movie. In retrospect, at least in comparison to every subsequent sequel, it's actually quite tastefully done. I think a total of maybe four people die during the course of the entire movie. And the twist! Call me short-sighted, but when I first saw it, I was pretty blown away. Okay, maybe "blown away" is a bit strong, but I at least didn't see it coming. All-in-all, it's a fairly intriguing flick for something from the gorror genre (gore/horror, yes, I just made that up).

Now on the other hand, you have every other movie in the series, which devolved into nothing but slasher/torture wankfests, with no discernible appeal other than "mutilation lol". The first film had a grand total of two traps that were extremely basic in design, and in each at least someone actually succeeds in escaping from them, during which the main focus of the plot was how each of these trapped characters react and progress. The entire film is actually character-driven, god forbid. Fuck that in the sequels though, each movie just tries its damnedest to one-up the previous in complexity and goriness, and pretty much everyone gets offed in the process in order to squeeze out any last shred of shock-value they can from an already completely desensitized audience. And every one ends with a Keyser Soze-level twist where "it was all according to keikoku lol". But it really doesn't make a difference because we don't give a shit anymore as to whether there's any real resolution or anyone gets caught. They made it all about the ride and MOAR BLOOD, the main reason films like these get laughed off in the first place. Apparently the producers hadn't heard how dumb as fuck the vast majority of the population considers paint-by-numbers slasher flicks.

I blame the production studio, for trying its damnedest to wring every last drop out of a pretty good film that should have never had any sequels in the first place. It's just a shame that in doing so by making FUCKING SEVEN more, it kinda made the first film look like shit by association.

In addendum, I've only actually seen four of the eight in the series, Saw, II, V (which I only went to see because X Japan did the ending theme and I had nothing better to do one night after getting off work) and the final one (which I watched on Netflix last night and prompted this rant).
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote