View Single Post
Old 2012.02.27, 01:07 PM   #28
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
21. Denki no nai toshi – Izawa begins, and he and Ringo take the whole first half of the song. When the rest of the band joins in and they build together, you know this is going to be a big one. Ringo’s voice hits that sweet spot just this side of shrill and she performs the entire last minute of the song STANDING ON ONE LEG. The camera holds that shot of her one-legged stance a long time for effect—it’s probably the longest shot on the whole DVD. The lights darken (naturally), and Izawa closes in a nice bookend. This was the pinnacle of the show and should go in the TJ concert Hall of Fame right next to Kimaru from Ultra C.
It's funny, I had just told Jihad that this song was the highlight of the night before you posted this. Easily in the top tier of all TJ performances (including Phase 1). The ending is phenomenal. I'm not even a fan of the studio version. If only they brought that intensity to some songs of the songs that needed it... : /

Originally Posted by Jameslicious View Post
Ukigumo is one of the best, most unconsciously competent guitarists I've ever seen. [...] But, Uki does the same thing. He zones out. He lets his body take over. What some see as 'phoning it in', or whatever the choice phrase is at the moment, I see as the ultimate expression of someone who knows their parts so well that he can merge into them.
Perhaps he should pay a little more attention when playing. I counted four mistakes in Atarashii Bunmei Kaika and I wasn't even listening critically. One which wasn't even really a problem, one lazy phrasing, one intentional yet annoying octave change, and once playing the wrong part. Playing the wrong part was funny though. In the second verse he started to play his tremolo effect part from the first verse when he's supposed to be silent through the verse. It's funny because he realizes his error and stops playing it about halfway through.

Phoning it in wasn't even about just Ukigumo. The entire band (save for Kameda) completely phoned in the first 30 minutes of this show. It was terrible.