View Single Post
Old 2011.04.19, 08:28 AM   #264
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
I think it was merman I picked up from that Kuki was called "Sei", meaning gender - this is actually true AFAIK - and the album is split into a male and female half. The second half does definitely sound more "female".
Hmmm? Elaborate?

Edit: Ooh, I see.

Japanese KSK wiki page:
先行シングル『茎(STEM)〜大名遊ビ編〜』のアルバム・バージョン(茎のバージョン違い参照)。
この曲の当初「性」という原題で製作されており、2000年の頃にはすでに完成していたが、2001年のアメリカ同時多発テロ事件で一時期精神的に不安に陥りその時の心情など交えた現在の歌詞に書き変えて収録。
なおタイトルの「茎」の意味は「陰茎」で、性的な意味ではなく種族存続などのことを意味する。
Let me just say it is hilarious that there is an entire Japanese wiki page dedicated to the different versions of "Kuki" and their differences. (Well, okay, it's just a subsection of the Stem single's page, but still amusing.)

Now, it says that "性" (and that word has many readings but the most common is probably sei, gender/sex, so that's probably how we can read it here) was the original title of this song and it was completed in 2000, but after 9/11 she changed the lyrics before it was recorded.

AND... wow. "Kuki" (stem, stalk) is supposed to be read as meaning "penis" [陰茎 inkei, and the kei from that word uses the same kanji as 茎, kuki] but not in a sexual way, but rather as in the continuation of the species.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote