View Single Post
Old 2019.04.08, 09:19 AM   #12
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by shirasagi View Post
I'm going to be more cynical here and argue that the sandoku concept was either around from 2015 or was just tacked on after the singles started coming out and they had to be tied together somehow to be on an album.
Agreed, it seems like a strong concept but the connection to the singles seems more tenuous. Remember when SUNNY was announced Shiina mentioned she noticed she'd written a lot about sunlight between 2009-2014 so she just threw in a vague enough concept to loosely tie the album together. So, Sandokushi seems at lesat stronger conceptually, and if the concept really was born in 2015 then at least she's been somewhat intentional about the long-term project.

I'm curious how it will pan out in the final tracklist. Will the songs be divided across the three themes? Does "Menukidoori" stand for greed?
Lol I literally was wondering that too. Is she both cashing in and selling out Ginza Six for the sake of social commentary? Talk about multitasking.

At this stage, I'm kind of most curious about the eventual cover artwork, because this knight armor image is tacky and not in a good way. I've seen people point out here that it reminds them of mobile games or hostess bars and I pray that something like that was the intention, because damn if this is not ironic.
It turned me off too at first, but damn if it isn't a bold visual statement. I mean the reactions I've been seeing are all "This is tacky af" or "I love it!!". Knowing Ringo and her love for camp (and angel wings apparently) I'm sure it's intentional on her part.
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote