Thread: PE'Z
View Single Post
Old 2007.08.20, 08:12 PM   #1
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer
Default PE'Z

So I was listening to Daichi Sanshou (the album version in Kimawari Zuki), and instead of being 5 minutes like the single version, it's actually... 22 minutes. When I first downloaded this album from JPopSuki (now a dead torrent - and I can't seed my files because they've been ReplayGain tagged), it became habitual for me to skip everything past 5 minutes, because it was just 'noise'.

Earlier this year, PE'Z released a double album called Funny Day & Hard Night. Now, it probably sounds like I'm changing the line of discussion, but I'm not, so bare with me here.

I was so caught up in the excitement of PE'Z releasing their first album of original material in like... 18 months, that I didn't notice something very special and sneaky that they did.

Today I revisited Kimawari Zuki, the album with the extended Daichi Sanshou on the end. About ten minutes into the song, different music starts playing, and it's barely audible behind the wilderness noises that have been going throughout the past few minutes and are still going. I was mostly ignoring this background music because it was too quiet and radio-distorted-like, but after a couple minutes, I realized "Woah, wait a minute... This is Delicious Sandwich, one of my favorite tracks from Funny Day & Hard Night!"

What's particularly significant here, is that Kimawari Zuki and Funny Day & Hard Night were released over three years apart, with two other albums of original material, one compilation album, and one cover album, all inbetween. Delicious Sandwich was never a B-Side either.

I've never heard of a band doing cameo songs before, especially none so subtle and far ahead of a full release. There's other songs playing in the background of the tail-end of Daichi Sanshou in a more obvious fashion (after the wilderness noises go away and they stop using the radio distortion), ones I'm not familiar with yet, but I'll figure out what they are as I snatch up more of their backlog from Yahoo! Japan Auctions. Either that or these are songs that will get released even later...

It's a shame that so many PE'Z CDs are out-of-print.

More stories from me are sure to come.