View Single Post
Old 2009.06.09, 04:30 AM   #19
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
No, you can't. How much of your Rep Power do you really think you've gained from postcount alone? Trust me, most of the high-postcount people with high Rep Power are getting their Rep Power mainly from being rep'd more often than people who post less often (because sooner or later you will see something you like from the person with the highest postcount). How long you've been a member for, also has an impact on your Rep Power, and there's no way to speed that part up.
Ok, you said "you can't", but then you presented arguments in favor of "you can". I can post a lot (raising my postcount) of usefull stuff (raising my rep power) during an amount of time that I can't speed up or control. The fact that I can't control the join date doesn't change a thing, because I'm not the only one so it's a fixed value, whereas for postcount and rep power you can work and manipulate it. You just have to sit back and time will flow regardless. This has been proved by at least two users and you know who they are.

That's simply a recent change in requirements for how much jointime/reputation/postcount it takes to attain Rep Power - a judgment call based on the current size of our community. There is nothing personal or random about it.
You can not say it didn't look like a coincidence, tho, because after I made this thread, the rep power changed.

Is that the answer you wanted? Because that's about as honest as I can be without disclosing the actual numbers.
Definitely, yes. It's better than not knowing anything.

I still think the system has some faults, mainly the fact that people themselves keep a personal record of what they feel about a member. You can say it's best if people only consider the post and not the poster, but that won't happen often. That said, if a person writes in a way that doesn't really hurt anyone but doesn't sound very nice, that person will never get good rep even if she provides usefull information to the community. Which means the person has to conform his speach to the elite way, otherwise there's no possible way to climb the mountain, aka raise rep power.

Also, don't forget that people give more rep when they can leech something rather then when they read a good informative post. There is just no way to deny that and the only way to counter it is if the leeching posts could not be repped. That would actually improve things because people would give because they want to, rather than because they want to raise the rep.

In the end, there's still a good thing about your system, and that is the fact that we can just ignore it. This whole thread just came from the fact that I wanted to neg rep a person but couldn't, so from now on I'll just forget there's even a possibility and reply with a "Thanks" in case I approve or explain why I don't approve with 3 or 4 posts. That will actually help me raise my postcount.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote