View Single Post
Old 2007.07.22, 03:03 PM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

There's no Tokyo Jihen single that's as well-rounded as Mayonaka wa Junketsu or Koufukuron (re-release), so it's a tough choice.

I reluctantly choose Sounan, because it's a great (although overplayable) A-Side, and because Kokoro is my favorite Tokyo Jihen B-Side. Dynamite (the studio version) is average, but certainly more tolerable than Lady Is A Tramp. I like the overall sound of the Shuraba single, but it loses a few points for not including any originals for B-Sides.

I'm not saying I hate covers, but I prefer that each single include at least one original among the B-Sides. The Tokyo Jihen covers in their B-Side form, never reach my evolving favorites list, but sometimes the concert versions do.

Mayonaka wa Junketsu succeeds where the Tokyo Jihen B-Side covers fail (especially Phase 1):
Ringo covered herself.