View Single Post
Old 2007.09.25, 04:32 PM   #65
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

"EVERYTHING IS LOOOVE"!!!!!

Jeeezzzzzz I really loved this album after my first listen. It was mind-bottling . It's a lot better than I expected. I guess all the pessimism here had gotten to me just a bit. The band's sound is so unique and here it is put even more on display. I really agree with the band calling it a "master piece" because as frenetic and all over the place as the instruments sound, I think they found a way to really put it together to fit nicely. I only heard it once so far so I'm not sure where I will rank it amongst the other two albums, but I'm positive that I like it at least just as much as the other two. I'll say more about the specific songs after more listens. It really is an eargasm

Originally Posted by HappySlyme View Post
man oh man! those sample clips from whatever site it was didn't do variety any justice at all
I knew this was going to be the case all along. The songs just sounded so much better in their entirety. I was surprised by one of them that there was a preview for (I did not pay so much attention to the titles) when the part from the preview popped up. It was like a sort of deja vu because the I did not know it was the song from the beginning and when the chorus popped up I was so surprised.

Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Mirrorball is better than the JCHI version (which I never liked), but it's still meh. Shiseikatsu is a very crappy version of Superstar.
Superstar? Are you serious?

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Lets start with generalities: good choruses: they don’t exist here. A “horrible” album: it’s not – but as I say that, I have to address from the fan in me. This album, is not anything I want to listen to. If this were some other band, I would not have even given two thoughts about it’s existence. But because I thought greatness would ensue one upon a time, I feel obligated. I think this is a pseudo-intellectual wannabe pop album with no melodies per se or even “hooks” necessarily. It’s a shame Jihen seems to pretend they make more than “just fuckin’ music.” Shiina solo used to carry herself off like she was just making songs, and hopefully trying to make some good ones here and there. But now it’s like “oh, lets pretend we can raise IQs by music” or lets make pop classy! Or whatever – but of course, whats worse is when people actually buy into it. It should just be fuckin music, you cant go out actively trying to do anything intra-personal with it. If its good enough, it will have a mind of it’s own.
I do not know where you are getting these feelings from. I think this is the most playful album they have made and not intellectual at all. It sounds like they were fucking around a lot more than trying to make you really dive into the music and "learn" something.

I also thought the choruses were very easy to follow along with even the first time listening, unlike OSCA and killer tune which took some getting familiarity with at first (which I guess is why they are such good songs).

Bjork, im not so familiar with, but to me she changes and does different on top of different things because thats just her schtick.
Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
The album title is misleading. The variety of music here is no different from anything SR or TJ have done in the past. She/they have been doing variety from day one.
Just as shady said, they have always done a variety of music, I'd say to just compare the first two albums but you do not think they differ too much anyway. How come its Bjork's "schtick" but not TJs if they always made different kinds of music? Bjork is always Bjork even when she tries something new and I think the same goes for TJ. This album, I think, has many new sounds that they have not incorporated into their other music, but I still feel it just sounds like them. If you just had the instrumentals without Ringo's voice, I think you would be able to say it was TJ who played these songs.

Shiseikatsu is proof that (with Blackout before) the band still has to rehash Kyoiku-era songs.
For the bajillionth time, how does Blackout sound like Sounan?! They are NOTHING alike. Neither do Shiseikatsu and Superstar. How do you get this comparison? Do you think they have similar bass lines, guitar riffs, lyrics? I do not get this.

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
in the picture everyone has seen the actual shot of the cover and back end are a slip over that fits over the cd casing. this is a really nice touch because when you slip it off you are assaulted by a cover or pure hot pink and black checkboard, continuing to the spine and inside both the back of the booklet, the cd, and the back of the back cover the same, meaning complete and total pink and black (I really like this)
I was very happy with the packaging as well. I thought it was really cool since the picture for the cover was on that "sock" sleeve that it let the rest of the cd case be in that crazy pink, checkered pattern. Really cool.

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
am I the space alien here that really likes SSAW?
I really like this song also.

EDIT: Only in Variety could you hear a song like Fukushuu be followed by Boutomin

EDIT 2: It's funny that the icon displayed for Fukushuu in the booklet is a mirrorball getting stabbed . I guess it means that it's not more fun and games like Mirrorball was

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.09.25 at 04:38 PM.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote