View Single Post
Old 2011.12.17, 03:35 PM   #8
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
21 was good. I didn't expect much, and I was surprised. The songs are very same-y, but her voice is amazing. Florence has the same problem but for some reason I liked Adele more.

I also really liked Strange Mercy. I haven't listened to most of those albums yet, but I will.

Hm, here are a couple that I enjoyed (not loved)
1. Strange Mercy
2. Night of Hunters
3. Biophilia
4. soundbeams (salyu)
5. Vows (Kimbra)
6. Amanda Palmer Goes Down Under (Track 4 to 7 Only. Rest is shit)
7. Wounded Rhymes

Even though I liked Dai-Hakken, I don't think it's worth mentioning. Also boo to Perfume's JPN. Not that great.

With this I realized my interests in music are very surface. I should dig deeper to discover better artists, not just well-known ones. I'll listen to these albums, Jihad.
in Adele's case I would generally agree but in Florence's case I'd say that I disagree with that statement. Mainly because she has a very distinct sound but I don't think that causes the songs to sound "samey." There is no way a song like Seven Devils sounds like Shake It Up, and Dog Days does not sound like Blinding. There wasn't a tremendous difference in sound between Lungs and Ceremonials, but I think Florence is still figuring out what type of artist she wants to be. She was awarded the Critics Choice Award before she had even recorded Lungs so she had massive pressure without even putting her name on anything. I think Ceremonials was her stepping into her skin as an acclaimed and well received artist and it kind of took what she was playing with on Lungs to a more realized and direct sound, more aggressive. But that said, other than her distinct use of harp and percussive elements, the song structures are all quite different. A song like What the Water Gave Me has more in common with 80's goth and a song like Lover to Lover is straight from the 60's. But that is just one guy's opinion.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote