View Single Post
Old 2008.08.26, 08:56 AM   #17
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I don't know exactly how the numbers and the titles are given. It must be a mixture of positive and negative rep and spreading rep? If you click on the decending reputation list, it does not give an accurate representation of "who has the most", as far as I can tell. It fluctuates too much aside from the top 3. As far as I can work it out, and I'm sure Glath can explain perfectly, it may be based on reputation consistency or a recent influx of rep and how much you have gave in return recently.

For example, Bongo is a prominent new member who has garnered a lot of posts in a short amount of time allowing him to quickly open himself to getting a lot of rep because everybody can give him it once without any "Spread your rep" message. This does not mean Bongo has all of a sudden got more rep than everybody below his name in total which would be an insane feat, merely that as of recent he has got a lot more than everybody but the 3 above him. Glath, paris and Emil I'd imagine get rep constantly off everybody for the sheer amount of universal help they provide and they tend to -- and deservedly so -- stay at the top; whereas people like Bongo, Jihad and myself likely hit rep drought's every so often when fellow members can no longer rep due to having to spread it and the names yo-yo up and down.

But that is irrelevant; don't look at it like a league table, because you don't know exactly what you're looking at. It isn't a popularity contest. I'm just trying to understand what the numbers and titles mean in terms of how they are attributed. How can somebody have a 7 and be an "asset to the community" and somebody else be a 4 and "deserve a fucking medal". Does the "asset" lag behind in title because s/he has negative but the number is high because of the amount of positive? Or have they simply not been rep'ing enough themselves lately so they've been demoted? I'm sure Glath can clear it up. Unless he wants to keep the inner workings of the system a secret :p