View Single Post
Old 2013.12.08, 12:53 AM   #14
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

11. Mariko Goto- m@u

After considerable listening to this album and making sure it wasn't just 'new album excitement'- I feel this album is very deserving of its place in the top 20 list. I feel that it's release time is very unfair; if I had more time with it this year, it may have ranked higher, but I feel I would have regretted not giving it a mention if I'd left it off the list.

So anyway, Mariko Goto's m@u- an album that truly seems to be more than meets the eye. Sure, it's got everything I love about Mariko Goto- short, snappy pop songs, amazing vocal delivery (both in her cute yet pained singing voice and crazed screams), great supporting instrumentation and the fire and passion that she burst onto the scene with. However, this time round, it seems less playful and has a much more bittersweet tone.

The introduction of electronic elements courtesy of Serph and HARCO (and no, not the typical "Nakata" bullshit that's in EVERYTHING from Japan these days) is a welcome addition, they add a new layer of depth unheard of from any Mariko related works. We still get the blazing rock tracks and the kawaii-death crush ditties, but there seems to be a bite, or a sting behind everything on this album. It's very intriguing and its a great reason why people will feel and urge to come back over and over (as well as it being one of the best pop rock albums of the year without any doubt).

I'll never be certain what Mariko was intending to convey here (is it meant to be as bittersweet as it sounds? Is there more to it or am I simply reading into it too much?), and that's what makes it such an interesting listen to me. The more you listen, the more it will get you thinking... a surprising feat for an album such as this.

On first impressions, I said that I probably prefer the first Mariko Goto solo album to this one, now I'm not sure. I may even go as far to saying that I prefer this album to a lot of Midori material.

Which also brings me to the absolute best part of the album, the song m@u itself: While I love Midori a lot, they only ever once (in my opinion) took that 'sound' they made so famous to higher places. That was with the outstanding masterpiece single, Swing, which still blows me away to this day. I feel m@u is ON PAR with this single. It shares the same 'huge' buildup quality as Swing and feels just as mature and confident as that mighty single. If that's not saying how much this album is worth your attention, then I don't know what else to say.

Don't be an idiot, listen to m@u.

No youtube clips, but here is the PV for m@u

Up tomorrow: The top 10 starts!

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.12.08 at 01:01 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote