Thread: The TV Thread
View Single Post
Old 2010.04.03, 08:51 PM   #44
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

@ freckle

the biggest complaints about the earlier seasons were storylines spanning upwards of 7-8 episodes, it turns viewers away, so starting with mid season 3 and most of this season, we find each episode packed with smaller separate stories and 3 episode arcs for major story lines, which has gone over very well with the fan base and the critics. I do think the miscarriage was kind of a red herring and I don't seeing that used as a plot point for drama's sake, but its better to see Hilda spring forward fast and assume she dealt with it privately/off screen than have her depressed for 5 episodes and deal with it that way. at its heart its a family/situational comedy soap, so its not going to tackle serious issues like that s gracefully as we might hope.

with shows in general, I never understand why fans get disgruntled with time lapsed between episodes. Betty does often end on cliff hangers, but it tends to jump time gaps and have a general lapse between episodes, so I didn't perceive it as miscarriage one day, moved on the next, or even with Justin. I think they handled the whole Justin thing pretty well. That being it was slowly worked into the storyline and brought the front in a subtle manner. They could have made him completely out and gay, but as the only closeted gay on a very gay show, I guess they wanted to utilize that to showcase the whole coming out/loving yourself/accepting others etc aspect.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote