View Single Post
Old 2007.08.23, 04:52 PM   #21
imkookoo

imkookoo is headed in the right direction

Any whine about people being fake really takes me back to middle school when people are so strung up on that concept. Can you define being real? People have many different faucets of reality within themselves even. Personality and the self are both a very complex mesh that NOBODY else can define.

Take the Britney Spears example someone gave. She sung about true love and had a innocent image, but did a lot of things that were in fact "slutty". However, why can't people have both qualities? It's not unlikely that a person who sleeps around a lot can also yearn for "the one".

Personality is not concrete people. It changes with time, circumstance, environment, etc.

Shiina is not excluded. She became a mother, she grew older. She formed a band. She waited. Her personality at the time WAS about being different. And being bitchy, ecclectic, yadda yadda IS being different. I never thought that she was really the image she portrayed; I more thought she was pursuing her identity more as an art... it does not have to reveal oneself necessarily, but one's perception of other selves. Shiina was portraying what she thought of a bitchy, ecclectic person. That's a type of art.

People will always be cynical and thinkn it's only for the money or whatever. But even if we go with that thinking, what happens if it's both for the publicity, the mass appeal, the attention, AND to appeal to one's own sense of art? They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

This is the mature, 3-dimensional perspective. Don't be stuck with high school thinking. :\
imkookoo is offline   Reply With Quote