Thread: St. Vincent
View Single Post
Old 2009.06.30, 07:37 AM   #4
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
why don't we give a thread to St. Vincent!!! I'm happy to share my name with her.

does anyone have a list of the corresponding movies that the songs on Actor were inspired by? Some of them are obvious, but some of them not so...I'm a fairly new St. Vincent fan. In fact, I don't even have her albums yet. I just sit and listen to youtube/myspace/imeem/iTunes clips, etc.
well, i don't know if all the tracks were inspired by a movie. I don't think they did, though, because some of the stories and the characters seem like she made them up herself, i think it was just the sounds that she made through movie inspiration. she said she had watched movies with the sound off and arranged scores for scenes. the lyrics, though, were not about those scenes. from reading and watching interviews, there are three i know for sure that she was watching: badlands, the wizard of oz, and sleeping beauty. She did say, however, that the words in Marrow were inspired by the tin man in the wizard of oz. that's why she says, "can you reach the spots that need oiling and fixing" and wanting a "spine made up of iron."

Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
I love her, too. I am extremely addicted to her two albums, especially to Actor. Her voice sounds so similar to Feist's, which is always a great thing, and some songs of hers remind me of SR's KZK. Listen to "The Strangers", it's so Poltergeist-ish IMO.
Ohh, i never felt her voice was too much like feist's, though i've heard the comparison. i'm still not too into feist so i'll have to compare them side by side, but i can see a similarity. i thought she had a pretty unique voice, though, but someone actually told me he couldn't stand her voice because it sounded like any other indie girl @_@! i guess i could see how that could be a first impression, but i felt she had her own style. it's very breathy, for lack of a better term, sometimes it's almost like she's running out of breath to nail some notes (in a good way).

and yea, early on, i used to think of her in connection with Ringo too just because i don't know too many other people that make quirky music that also sounds so serious and epic. i was surprised to find out she was so good at guitar, though! i had not seen a video of her for quite some time after i had the first album and i just assumed it was some guy on it. =).

have you guys seen the acoustic performances of the Actor songs?
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote