View Single Post
Old 2015.12.05, 04:06 PM   #19
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

9. Roisin Murphy- Hairless Toys

Roisin Murphy's latest album is by far one of the most focused and singular minded music pieces released by anyone, anywhere this year. Unlike her last full length, Overpowered, it harkens further back to her time in Moloko and is closer to her debut, Ruby Blue in sound (however, this time everything sounds 'bigger' and more fully developed). This, to me, is a godsend, because as much as I liked her electro pop of Overpowered, it didn't really stand out or make any kind of statement in the long run.

Hairy Trees, however, is a major grower. On first listens, not much really stood out- but there's something about it's overall atmosphere and approach that just makes you keep coming back- it is layered in thick cloud of mystique. Even months later, I'm finding bits and pieces I missed before, and I still feel the album has yet to fully 'reveal' itself to me.

Songs are long and atmospheric. Roisin's vocals are at most points restrained, but also unquestionably her. You can't mistake it for anyone else. And that is a fine testament to her ability to throw songs together. Songs are long and brooding, the track "Exploitation" clocks in at nearly 10 minutes. There is a level of progressive song structures here and it's fascinating how you can just melt into the soundscape- it really takes you for the ride, and for this I think it worth sinking your teeth into.

Not just a simple dance/electro album, this is one of the well, weirdest, things you'll have the pleasure to hear all year. Trust me on this.

Roisin Murphy

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.12.05 at 04:10 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote