View Single Post
Old 2014.03.03, 08:40 AM   #87
JAWofGoethe

JAWofGoethe pleased at least somebody

Ok, I started listening to Seiko Oomori a few months ago (discovered her thanks to the forums). I have listened to Mahou Ga an a couple songs from Zettai Shoujo (plus some of what have been posted here - with my shitty internet) and so far I like her, but the way she sings is kind of a mystery.
SR’s voice isn’t quite traditional but she has largely mastered her talent. This (I feel) is something Seiko still lacks (a bit), which makes the comparisons between them flawed if not unfair and that’s something I have to keep constantly in mind so I won’t spoil my own listening experience. If Seiko’s singing from the heart, it is supposed to convey a dramatic effect which value is relative to its message.
For what I’ve seen, Oomori doesn’t have a clearly-defined philosophical stand point (or identity), thus the ‘singing from the heart’ meaning is still contrived to plain ‘basic feeling’ (assuming there could be something else behind it). If she presents herself as an ‘idol-parody’, the dramatic effect makes more sense as (at least) she opposes to the not so genuine singing of many other idols. Of course, the lyrics help too.
I remember I saw another post from someone (maybe TurtleFu?) who speculated about what Seiko was supposed to be standing for, which is somehow to be expected. In the end, the music is what’s going to stay with you, but I can never underestimate that thinking-impact many artists have like, say, Pink Floyd (ok, maybe not the best example for this thread… sorry). I can only wait and see how good she is at concept art…
And, F***! It's so exciting Oomori has her own label! Mkes me want to hear everything from her, although it also gives me the feeling she might not have started the best way. In Mahou Ga she began as a strong artist, appealing (at least to me) for her spontaneous character and disrespect to conventional songwriting, meaning she could become less-original as she involves herself more in the biz. But I guess with Seiko is more a small risk than a tendency.

Btw, TurtleFu, s3r3nity, Rhea… you are awesome! (Thanks for the invaluable translations and funny shirt pics).