Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.06.21, 12:25 PM   #21
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Yeah. It just bothers me that subpar artists who would not have made it out of obscurity on their own (because they aren't good enough songwriters--Ukigumo) are being given songwriting powers on a Shiina Ringo album. If she wanted to form a band of top-notch performers AND songwriters in their own right, she shouldn't have let Uki in at all. He already has no stage presence. It's not much of a surprise his songs are lackluster too. I just wish she'd created a really amazing, dynamic band, like jrock bands like Malice Mizer and L'arc~en~ciel where every member is an amazing musician in their own right. Here, it just seems like some people don't quite measure up to Ringo.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.21, 01:21 PM   #22
imkookoo

imkookoo is headed in the right direction

I don't think the line is that black and white. I think her "real" style is a bit of both Jazz and Rock, with a leaning more toward Jazz at the moment.

Jazz and Rock both have roots in Blues.. you can see that with the type of chord progressions/rhythm that are in both genres. So it's not that far fetched that the styles are interchangeable with SR.

But anyway, one important thing to realize though is that preferences change with age and life events. When she debuted, she was what.. 18? 19? Now she's almost 30. She's now a mother, and she's probably gotten much more mature being a working woman facing the real world. Those forces tend to subdue the teenage angst within a person. Not just angst, but pretty much any emotion. As you get older, you become a lot more neutral about things, because that's the state of balance. Also, views become a lot more inward than outward. Rock, I feel, needs extreme outward emotions. Whereas Jazz -tends- to be more inward, subdued emotions.

Lastly, she's an artist. Artists usually get bored with things. If they released a certain style of music, it's been done. It's the equivalent of not wanting to wear the same clothes the next day. She's done rock, she's done avant garde music in her solo career. She's exploring different avenues of music -- orchestrated, pure jazz, jazz rock, etc.

So really, her "real" style is everything. It depends on what stage of her life you are talking about, and what frame of mind you are talking about.
imkookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.21, 01:28 PM   #23
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

the band really don't measure up.. as for getting older well that's fine but even if you wanna go in another creative direction it's really no excuse to forget to take the quality along for the ride aswell!!
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.21, 01:57 PM   #24
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

And in the third phase she rose again...

...IT'S IN ''REVELATIONS,'' PEOPLE!

iPhase3!
Old 2008.06.21, 06:11 PM   #25
imkookoo

Originally Posted by ringobingo View Post
the band really don't measure up.. as for getting older well that's fine but even if you wanna go in another creative direction it's really no excuse to forget to take the quality along for the ride aswell!!
Quality is subjective though. I mean, I guess I agree even if it's opinion that Variety was not so great of a direction. But I still stand by my belief that the leader shouldn't be blamed for the actions of the subordinates, even though people are so inclined to do so.
Old 2008.06.21, 06:33 PM   #26
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by imkookoo View Post
Quality is subjective though. I mean, I guess I agree even if it's opinion that Variety was not so great of a direction. But I still stand by my belief that the leader shouldn't be blamed for the actions of the subordinates, even though people are so inclined to do so.
If quality was completely subjective, I could write some shit and compare it to a Shiina Song. And because the possibility exist, that one person in the universe might like that shit, both would have quality then.

I don't think so. It's the other way around. Just because somebody likes something, it doesn't mean that it is good.
Quality isn't subjective, the opinion one has is. But most people feel the need to have a legitimation for liking something, just in case somebody takes note of it. And instead of admitting that what they like is shit they rather declare everything to be the same, so they don't have to feel inferior to someone elses opinion.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.21, 07:50 PM   #27
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

The leaders are the one's that allowed their subordinates to do their actions or hired them, so yes they're 100% accountable.
Old 2008.06.21, 09:31 PM   #28
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
Quality isn't subjective, the opinion one has is. But most people feel the need to have a legitimation for liking something, just in case somebody takes note of it. And instead of admitting that what they like is shit they rather declare everything to be the same, so they don't have to feel inferior to someone elses opinion.
Quality can be quite subjective. During his lifetime, everyone thought Van Gogh's work was shit.

I have a hard time following the rest of your paragraph. I have reasons for liking something, but they don't exist for the purpose of convincing others. I really don't care what other people think.

Your last sentence is just baffling.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.22, 01:45 AM   #29
imkookoo

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
The leaders are the one's that allowed their subordinates to do their actions or hired them, so yes they're 100% accountable.
That's the simple way of thinking about it. The world is complex, it should be thought of as that way.
Old 2008.06.22, 01:45 AM   #30
D.K.Liu

D.K.Liu is an asset to this community

Golem ... I'll second TeslaGuy on 'quality' not being a purely objective property. You can measure quality 'objectively' only after you have decided/chosen a paradigm on which to base your judgement/analysis. Usually we think of quality in relation to 'fitness for purpose', a quality car or furniture is one that is reliable, durable etc, and we can come up with objective ways to measure/test these eg. frequency of failure, and how long they last.

For creative arts ... it becomes harder to define the 'purpose'. Maybe it's for people's enjoyment, maybe it's for the artist's own enjoyment, or somethings else. I'm not sure ... but it seems to depend on what people think about the work - which you agree is subjective.

Let's say a lot of people have similar feelings for certain artwork, perhaps we can analyze their opinions to construct a model or a paradigm for measuring 'quality'. Perhaps you can say it's more objective than a single person's opinion, but it is not a kind universal or people independent objectivity.

I'm not immune to thinking sometimes "I really don't like this music, how can other people like it?" but I think it is extremely arrogant to say that they should admit that their taste is 'inferior'.

I think we can all benefit in these discussion by reading a bit on the philosophy of aesthetics (I have yet to do so, but this wikipedia article seems interesting).

D.K.Liu

Last edited by D.K.Liu : 2008.06.22 at 01:47 AM. Reason: clarification
D.K.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote