Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2011.05.20, 07:15 AM   #301
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Some more stuff from SWITCH. I'm halfway through Ringo's interview, and here are some tidbits/highlights:

--The first song that TJ’s current five members ever played together was Yukiguni, in the same studio where they are recording now.

--Regarding Ultra C: her neck was killing her right before the tour started. Did we already cover this in the DVD thread? I remember wondering why she bent over a lot but if anyone’s unsure why, there you go.

--She criticizes the term “J-POP.” Says if you take out the J-hyphen, maybe there would be a better appreciation of Japanese culture? Says that no one listens to SOIL & THE “PIMP” SESSIONS as “J-JAZZ,” but on the charts, everything is under “J-POP.” This makes her uncomfortable, and it was in the back of her mind and making her depressed. The Ultra C tour relieved all of that.

--Cute (?) story: a guy tried to pick her up on the street recently, in front of the EMI recording building. She was on her way to the hospital and didn’t have her cell phone or purse, and the guy must have thought she was an OL because he asked what office she worked at. She got all flustered with the guy and didn’t know what to answer, so she just said “Um, EMI.” Interviewer says: “Last year you said that when you aren’t writing songs you sit at Denny’s with tears in your eyes. That was a memorable scene, but this one…”
Old 2011.05.20, 07:29 AM   #302
vielleicht

vielleicht pleased at least somebody

Nice to know she actually cares to answer, haha
Old 2011.05.20, 08:47 AM   #303
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by ChickShhh View Post

The quality of hats have decreased.

Performance could have been more awesome if they used the budget for Saito Neko's orchestra with Soil & Pimp Sessions for double bass, sax and trumpet. Musician in lab coats and Cool guys in 'pimpin' outfits.

Last edited by W3iHong : 2011.05.20 at 09:00 AM.
Old 2011.05.20, 11:21 AM   #304
jackmanca

jackmanca is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
I think so and it cracks me up. It's like they went with some generic orientalist design even though the aztecs and mayans aren't even associated with sandy deserts.

So now that the promo shoot goes with the album cover+album name, I wonder what the hell this picture is about? Could it be that they changed the theme after that first photoshoot?

Name:  hK5Ut.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  7.9 KB
Yeah, I was looking at this picture too and wondering what is that in her hand? to me it seems like opera glasses, but I'm not too sure...

And about the music station performance, man, how I hate those ballet dancers (look at 1'14, I almost peed myself from laughing at the ballerina's forced smile )

And I'm not criticizing the song, that I like, but doesn't shiina seemed uncomfortable? She looks gorgeous, but her energy is so down... Even my mom, that knows nothing of her saw it and said: it seems she doesn't want to be there...
Old 2011.05.20, 11:33 AM   #305
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

Personally, I would've felt awkward with all those dancers around me. It's not like the stage is huge or anything, and Ringo doesn't normally preform with a lot of people around her. That could've been a factor in her uneasiness, maybe?

Also, I didn't like the dancers either. Talk about awkward.

and I believe Ringo IS holding opera glasses in the single picture. Though, I don't think the theme has changed at all. The magnifying glass logo is still present on the single and the Onna no Ko wa Daredemo PV.

Last edited by BlueApple : 2011.05.20 at 11:37 AM. Reason: just some random crap.
Old 2011.05.20, 12:13 PM   #306
Andikki

Andikki is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
Golden Best by Yakushima Hiroko, 2002
I bet it's Yakushimaru Hiroko.
Old 2011.05.20, 03:16 PM   #307
Nimh
Administrator

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
did they stop listening to music after the year 2000?
(only 2 albums have a release date after 2000. and no, the classical stuff don't count.)
To clarify: SWITCH asked each member to come up with a list of 6 albums that "made" who the members are today. Naturally things that "make us who we are" are things that we discovered or that happened to us some time in the past.
Old 2011.05.20, 03:36 PM   #308
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Ah okay that makes a lot more sense. In your original post it seemed like the albums were inspiration for Discovery. Or something along those lines.

Anyway if J-POP makes SR so uncomfortable then why is she doing so much of it. Seriously.
Old 2011.05.20, 05:01 PM   #309
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Says that no one listens to SOIL & THE “PIMP” SESSIONS as “J-JAZZ,” but on the charts, everything is under “J-POP.” This makes her uncomfortable, and it was in the back of her mind and making her depressed.

tower records doesnt know how to categorize. its not worth getting depressed over that. that is weird that S&P is listed under jpop though. even cdjapan does it.
Old 2011.05.20, 06:40 PM   #310
Nimh
Administrator

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Ah okay that makes a lot more sense. In your original post it seemed like the albums were inspiration for Discovery. Or something along those lines.
But it's that, too. We can make or guess connections between those 30 albums and the new album. SWITCH encourages it: 制作中の新作『大発見』に通じるヒントや、彼らについての "新発見”が隠されているかも?

It's just a fun diversion, and each member gives a few comments on each album, which are interesting. Ringo calls Raphael Saadiq the sempai of her first love, and Mr. Perfect.
Closed Thread